Volunteer with us
Help our abandoned street dogs and our dog meat trade survivors
Blue Dream Shelter
The shelter is located in Buriram (North East Thailand). Currently there are 40 kennels with over 200 dogs at the shelter, 1 cat that roams free and a goat. The shelter was built in 2017 and is still under construction but will hopefully be completed by the end of 2018.
Address: 80 moo 1 Tambon Prasat Bankruat District Buriram Province 31180 Thailand
We have two programs to choose from when you volunteer with us:
- Work 12 hours a day, 9AM- 9PM, and receive free accommodation and meals.
- Work 6 hours a day, pay 500 Thai Baht per day for accommodation and meals.
Traveling to us
You can fly into Bangkok then take a taxi (a trusted driver of The Sound of Animals) to Buriram. This is about a 4-5hr drive depending on traffic and costs 4500-5000 baht but will take you to your accomodation which is 5 minutes from the shelter. You can also travel to Buriram by plane, bus or our own private taxi from Bangkok.
There is also a flight service available with ‘Nok Air’ from Bangkok to Buriram it is a 1hr flight and cost approximately 80 USD. This flight only operates three times a day early morning, midday and late afternoon. We with can also help you get to us by sending a taxi which you will have to pay the fare.
If you are not flying into Bangkok because you are coming from somewhere like Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam you may be able to fly straight into Buriram. You can work out your individual travel plans using this site: https://www.rome2rio.com/.
If you require any help organizing any of this please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The volunteer accomodation is a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house, a kitchen and has two separate bungalows. Each bungalow has its own toilet.
Volunteer accommodation Address: 129 Moo 4 Tambon Prasart Amphur Ban Kruat Buriram 31180
If volunteers do not wish to stay in the shared volunteer accommodation we recommend staying at the Idin Resort. It is approximately 14 USD per night and is a safe and clean accommodation. We can arrange your booking at the resort if need be. Below is the website if you would like more information on the resort.
Volunteers can help with:
- Cleaning kennels.
- Showing dogs love and affection.
- Walking dogs throughout the day.
- Preparing food and feeding the dogs at night.
- Watering plants around the shelter and in wach kennel.
- Changing the water in the Varan’s cage.
- Checking all dogs in the shelter for:
- Eye or ear irritation
- Worms in fecal matter
- All dogs must eat at night if they are not eating and you have any concerns please discuss with Michael as soon as he arrives in the shelter.
What to Pack
- Full valid passport for the length of your stay
- Independent costs to and from Buriram
- Suitable clothing
- Flip flops
- Walking shoes
We are open to volunteers all year round. We expect a minimum commitment of 1 week, however we are open to anyone willing to come and help for more or less time. Please let us know the dates you plan to be with us when you contact us about your stay.